Sunday, September 21, 2008

Wed. Sept. 17, 2008

Happy 59th Anninversary to my parents! Also it's my birthday. It seems though that this is a very melancholy day for me. Although I am happy to be doing this trip, I have a lot of sadness in my heart. For one, I am not with my family on this occasion. In fact, usually at this time of the year we are celebrating 3 anniversaries & 4 birthdays. Secondly, respect for one another, their knowledge & even their inadequacies is imperative & essential. This holds true in everyday life, not just for an event as this. This adventure is a further test though. I believe & try to live everyday as the old cliche says: do unto others as you would like them to do unto you.





Wed. Sept. 17, 2008

It's a cool 50F am; so donned a long-sleeve T, tights & a track suit for my powerwalk along the Canalway Trail. There is extensive fog also; I hope I capture the fog rolling off the water in my photos. We pass through Lock 20 from 0835 to 0855. Including this lock, all the locks become 'down' locks. Once again today the scenery is same as yesterday-- miles of trees & shrubs that are showing their Fall colours; mostly the Fall shade of green, but some reds & golds. The sky is absolutely cloudless, brilliant blue; & the sun is glowing. Lock 20 (Whitesboro) -- 0835 to 0855 .


Lock 20 to Lock 19 (Frankfort) 10 mi.-- 1025 to 1055


Lock 19 to 18 (Jacksonburg) 12 mi.--1255 to1310


Lock 18 to 17 (Little Falls) 4 mi.--1340 to 1410; very warm temp now


Lock 17 to 16 (Fort Plain) 7 mi.--1650; not enough time to make next lock


Distance: 34.7 mi. Canal depth: 10-18 ft.


Good facilities in little town of Fort Plain walking via the Canalway Trail-- library, grocerystore, Family Dollar, hardware store, restaurants, & laundry facilities.


No comments: